Thursday, 23 August 2007

I Don't Wanna

The more I learn about the world, the more I find myself saying I don't wanna.

I don't wanna do what I'm told.

I don't wanna do it just because it's normal.

I don't wanna do it just because it's expected.

I don't wanna do it just because it's mainstream.

I don't wanna.

The more I learn about the world, the more I find myself noticing. Considering. Thinking. Deciding. Changing. Leaving the mainstream behind.

Countless unconscious decisions I once took for granted are now becoming conscious choices.

Maybe this is called growing up? (Except that I don't see most people doing it!)

I don't want to fill my house with chemicals just because P&G wants me to. I don't want to eat food filled with crap just because it's what the nearest grocery store sells. I don't want to take every medicine known to man for every little sniffle just because the drug company needs to up their profit. I don't want to give birth to a drugged-up baby just because the nurses tell me to have an epidural. I don't want to pump my kid full of toxins just because the doctor says he should be vaccinated. I don't want to leave my baby to cry it out just because society says he needs to learn to be independent. I don't want to send him off to public school in a few years just because it's normal.

And on and on and on and on.

So this is me, finally stepping up and saying, "Hey world! I don't want to do it just because it's mainstream!"


  1. Hi! I LOVE your site and am so enjoying reading your posts!

    Would you consider emailing me at so I can ask you a question? I don't see any contact info. You can just send me a blank email and I'll write you back. :)

  2. Me too! I love the way you write, and would love to meet you in person....please contact me at You're in Vancouver, right?

  3. This is the exact same way I feel!!! I had a baby going on three months ago (one of those 'surprise' blessings!) I sadly started off my pregnancy with alot of 'I don't wanna' I was scared that I couldn't do it! but it didn't take long for those 'I don't wanna' to turn outwards instead of inwards.. soon I was saying the same things you so greatly put into words! Now I'm just trying to figure out what all I do want and how to keep out what I don't! I love you blog and LOVE LOVE LOVE reading the stories and trials of another Christian Hippie Mama, its nice to know there are more of us out there!!! God Bless!!