Wednesday 17 March 2010

You know you have an older brother when...

...you get covered in cars, stuffed animals, rubber ducks, or blankets every time your mother turns her back for more than a few seconds.

...you could sleep through a bomb falling on the house, you are so used to sleeping through shrieks, laughter, and the sound of feet endlessly running.

...you get swatted at and told to be quiet by a grumpy two year old when your early-morning fussing wakes him up.

...the slightest whimper as you wake up from your nap brings two little feet running your way to snuggle with you until Mom catches up.

...you receive more hugs, kisses, and love than you ever could have imagined possible.


The boy still adores his little brother. He's always the first one there when the baby cries. Half the time he tells me to "pick him up, Mommy, he wants you!", and the other half I get told to go away because the boy will look after him! He's recently starting referring to him as "his" baby. He wanted me to put the baby to bed with him last night. When I told him the baby was still too small, he tried protesting, "but he's MY baby!" I've never had trouble keeping the cats away from a baby, but an older brother?? It's darn near impossible. I sometimes wake up in the morning to find that the boy has snuck into our bed during the night and the two of them are sound asleep snuggled up together. As much as I try to discourage it for safety reasons, I can't deny that I find it absolutely adorable at the same time. This baby's going to grow up to be one tough kid if he manages to survive his older brother's lavish displays of affection!

4 comments:

  1. Sibling love and affection is one of the sweetest things we mothers get to witness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet. How wonderful that he enjoys helping so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is TOO sweet. And it's stories like this that make me lean just a little further in the "okay, I guess we could have a second baby and the world wouldn't end" direction :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so precious! Sibling love is very special.

    ReplyDelete