Thursday 24 May 2012

Rest in quiet trust

For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel,
"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength."

- Isaiah 30:15a

In returning and rest, in quietness and in trust. His Word never fails to bring reassurance to my tired soul.

Oh Lord, You are so good.

And yet how easily I forget. I feel the urging of our culture, both within and outside of the church, to do more, be more, try harder, strive further, argue louder, follow this simple formula to improve yourself/your marriage/your kids in Six Easy Steps. Again and again He reminds me that this quiet life is enough. His burden is light; rest in quiet trust.

My prayers have felt like this lately. Words don't come easily, so I simply sit. I soak in His presence. I breathe in His peace. I listen more than I talk. I carry that steady communion with me as I continue with my day, and it is good. It is good to simply sit and rest, to be still and quiet before the One who formed me and knows me and loves me. Somehow the silence feels full even when my words feel empty. He is there.

May your weekend be filled with quiet rest.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely and true. I relate. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this timely reminder...I needed it

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, sounds like you might need "Christless Christianity" by Michael Horton. Have you read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, Katie, but it sounds intriguing. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. I just mentioned this verse last night to a friend, but forgot the exact verse in Isaiah. There are so many in the book that are good. There are so many bible stories about how the Israelites only had to stand back, praise the Lord, and watch His salvation. Thanks for mentioning this verse! It's been a little treasure for me since I found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaiah is one of my favourite books; there are so many of those "little treasures" throughout it.

      Delete