Sunday 12 August 2012

Weekend Reading

In which it’s caught (not taught) @ Sarah Bessey
I worry sometimes about how I’m passing this whole life-in-Christ, God, and faith thing down. I worry about whether I’m doing enough and then I worry about whether I’m doing too much. I don’t like competitions and scores and games for Jesus stuff. I don’t like formulas and gold stars. I worry about turning the Bible into a children’s story book, about helping the tinies to engage with Scripture and wrestle and ask questions, and then I can’t bring myself to read about Abraham’s near-sacrifice of his son, Issac, on the mountain, no part of me could ever understand that obedience, I admit, I’d probably go to hell before I’d raise a hand to hurt my child, I don’t understand it at all.

The Myth of the Magic Autonomous Age @ Natural Parents Network
Proper instruction early on, coupled with a keen eye on the readiness of the child, afford the child the confidence to accomplish the tasks set before him.

No parents want their child to be injured, but the answer isn’t restriction from activities: It is taking the time to teach the correct approach and safety measures.

Obedience is a pathway of Maturity and Faith @ I Take Joy
I do believe in obedience for me, for children, for all who want to love and serve God. But, I see now that the goal for my obedience is not behavioralism–performance–doing a task that I want done this instant because of fear of punishment. I do not measure my success as a parent by whether or not my children instantly obey.

Instead, I want my children to learn to love God, to desire to serve Him out of their hearts of respect, awe, reverence, love. I look for growth, not perfection. Maturity, not instant holiness.

Learning to go Slow @ The Parent Vortex
Cars and people are not that different, really. Vans blow up when things get too hot and there’s more pressure than the system can handle. People blow up in anger when they get hot and stressed out too. So stay cool. Release that pressure. Go at a comfortable speed. Avoid traffic jams.

We’ll get there when we get there, and that’s OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment